“Developing the Focused Life”
Is Dedicated in Honor of
Sam and Peggy Simmons
Sam and Peggy Simmons are the parents of Rockbridge Seminary Cofounder and Professor Emeritus of Global Studies J. Sam Simmons. The dedication of the course “Developing the Focused Life” was made possible by the generous financial donations to Rockbridge Seminary by Sam and Trish Simmons.
A Tribute to my Parents
By Dr. J. Sam Simmons
The longer I live, the more I realize the value of godly parents and a loving home. What I once took for granted as a child or a rebellious teen, I now treasure with ever-growing gratitude to God. It was His sovereign choice, not mine, that determined my lineage. Yet, if somehow I had been given the power to choose, I would have chosen the very same parents He gave me. Why?
- They loved me and accepted me, even when I disappointed them or hurt them.
- They invested personal time with me as a child, even in a family of six children.
- They taught me the value of hard work and diligence, even when I grumbled and tried to be lazy.
- They model prayer, a love for Jesus Christ, and ministry within and beyond their faith community.
- They show strength and faithfulness, even during seasons of grief and difficulty our family has walked through together.
- They encourage me, serving as some of my most enthusiastic cheerleaders.
- They believe in me and in my dreams.
- They trust me, even when my journey takes unexpected turns.
I cannot say that I owe everything to my parents but my understanding of what I do owe grows with each passing year. They are a daily reminder to me of how much God loves me and how His grace extends goodness to me far beyond what I deserve.